Thursday, August 30, 2007

Reading is fun!

Back in December I had an idea to start a book club. I invited about six or seven close friends to join me every other Monday to discuss our book of choice. We’ve read some great books!

I highly recommend The Kite Runner, and The Time Traveler’s Wife.

So far, we’ve completed seven or eight books I believe. Some were less than exciting, but it was nice to branch out a little in my reading tastes.

This past Monday we met the authors of Literacy and Longing in LA. We had just finished reading the book and were wrapping up our discussions that evening. We had the pleasure of getting to ask the authors, Karen Mack and Jennifer Kaufman, questions about the characters, how they write as a team, etc. It was fascinating. I wouldn’t recommend the book to everyone (it can get a little risqué) but it’s a fun light read.

Here we are with the authors.

(From left to right, back row: Me, Vieve, Jennifer Kaufman, Karen Mack, Liska, Jamie, Michelle, Heather
Front row: Shannon and Carolyn)

Monday was also my last night of book club. I’m handing the reins over to someone else. I realized that there are a number of books I’ve been wanting to read that the group wasn’t interested in. And selfishly, I wanted to be able to focus on those for a while.

Right now I’m reading The Paradise War by Stephen Lawhead. It's the first in a trilogy. Stephen Lawhead is Alex’s favorite author and I got hooked on him when I read Hood (the sequel to Hood comes out next month, by the way).

There are also a number of classics I want to read. Anyone have a favorite book I should check out? I’ll be honest, I’m more into fiction right now. ☺

xo, Mel

1 comment:

Holdermans in Mad(ison) City said...

I kept meaning to tell you about the mysteries I've been reading. Of course now you've moved on to Harry Potter. But I recently finished 2 Harlan Coben books. First I read The Innocent, and immediately following it, The Final Detail, so the 2nd one refers to the first a lot. I just love his character Myron Bolitar-sports agent, and his buddy Win. They have that sarcastic, kinda sick, sense of humor that you and I enjoy and emulate often! (love Coben books, but he comes up with lousy names for his characters!) Now I'm reading The Rage, by James Patterson. His character is Alex Delaware the psychologist played by Morgan Freeman in Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider. Anyway- happy reading!!