Thursday, June 5, 2008

Yosemite - Memorial Day Weekend

On Memorial Day Weekend we went camping in Yosemite National Park with our good friends Rhianna and Travis and Rhianna's younger sister and brother (Haley and Riley). Our campsite was at the Wawona Campground, which is near the southern entrance to the park. We were lucky to get a campsite on a holiday weekend but thanks to Rhianna's resourcefulness we got one. This was our first time to Yosemite and as you can imagine we were very excited. I was eager to see this famous national park where Ansel Adams had taken so many amazing photographs...I also was looking forward to hiking Half Dome!! Well, as you will see from our pictures Mother Nature frowned on that idea as it RAINED the entire weekend...Half Dome will have to be climbed another time.


Exhibit A: our tent in the rain. :(


Mel enjoying the rain while I set up our tent.


Yosemite Valley with Bridelveil Falls.


Cascade Falls I think?





Bridelveil Falls was pretty amazing and a nice, short hike.





Upper Yosemite Falls--5th tallest waterfall in the world!








Vernal Fall--this was a tough, wet and slippery hike. Great views though.


It was a wet hike and we were very happy we'd bought these ponchos.





At the top of Vernal Falls.










The hike continued up to Nevada Falls.






Travis, Riley and I hiked off the trail to the bottom of Nevada Falls for this great shot.





Travis, buddy, we're not even to the top yet. One step at a time.



I took this shot from the top of Nevada Falls.


We hiked down a different route. When we had almost reached the summit we ran into a park ranger. He was kind enough to inform us that the conditions at the top (approximately 6,000 feet)--where we were headed--they had just received snowstorm warnings and it the temperature could potentially drop below 20 degrees! We decided we should probably hurry up a little.


Lucky for us this was the most snow we ran into on our hike. Phew.


We made it. Here we are at the bottom, about 7 miles and 5 hours later.


This was where we had to store ALL of our food and even our toiletries--a bear box.


Mel was convinced we were all going to be eaten by a bear. She made sure we didn't leave any food out...EVER! "But I'm still eating that" I said. She didn't care.


On our last day we went on a hike to the Mariposa Grove, one of the largest groves in the world of Sequoias. It was a fun hike. Plus it wasn't raining.










Mel and I saw a Bobcat!! This was the clearest shot, the rest are quite blurry.




Yay, we're the faithful couple!



A cool fog started coming through the grove that looked pretty cool.


Yup, even Sequoias cones are HUGE.






Travis and I standing on top of the famous and original "tree with a hole in it." Unfortunately it fell the winter of 1969.


Mel at the bottom of the Fallen Monarch.









Google














No comments: