Sunday, January 30, 2011

A very long week, leading up to the best day of our lives

This blog entry will be a little different. Less photos... more story. :)

On Friday, December 3, 2010, Alex and I went to our 36-week ultrasound. The ultrasound doctor determined that my amniotic fluid was extremely low and put in a call to our doctor. The doctor on-call (Dr. Lee) said I needed to come to the hospital. The ultrasound doctor explained that they may want to induce me later that day. I wasn't prepared in the least for that diagnosis.I didn't have my hospital bag packed. We didn't have the car-seat in the car. And Eva would have been three weeks early. We weren't ready.

I checked into the hospital around noon and after four hours of monitoring Eva's heart-rate and my fluids, they discharged us. I would be required, however, to have bi-weekly (twice a week) fluid and stress tests.

The following Monday (12/6), I went into my doctor for my first fluid check and stress test. Eva's heart had never been issue and wasn't that day, either. We passed the stress test with flying colors. My fluids were another story. At 5PM that evening, I checked back into the hospital. This time, I was ready with hospital bag in tow. I told Alex not to bother coming to the hospital. I didn't want him to leave work early when I knew I would just be getting discharged in a few hours. At 7PM that night, I discovered I would be staying over night. Alex picked up dinner for us and made it to the hospital around 9PM that night. It took a little longer than expected since he nailed a giant raccoon with our car and cracked our bumper. Oops!

Tuesday morning (12/7) we started discussing inducement again. Our medical team recommended that we be induced. As there were no benefits to waiting, only greater risk to Eva's safety, we agreed. At 4PM on Tuesday they started inducing me.

24 hours later we were only 1.5 centimeters in with a long way to go. We were still in good spirits though!

Here's a shot of me working from my hospital bed.


We spent exactly 48 hours in this tiny little room. There was no shower and only a tiny little chair that turned into a crappy bed for Alex to sleep on.

At 4PM on Wednesday (12/8) we were finally moved into a delivery room. And I was finally allowed to shower and change. I put on my "Pretty Pushers" delivery gown and was ready to go. And by ready to go, I mean ready to wait another 12 hours. We forgot to take a picture of me standing up in my beautiful delivery gown... so you won't get the full effect. :(


At 5PM they ramped up the inducement and started me on pitocin. By 5:30 I was in serious need of an epidural. I wanted to labor naturally but inducement changed all those plans...

Our delivery room was like the presidential suite compared to the room we spent 48-hours in. We also had a view of the Hollywood sign. It really was a great room!

Around 6pm on Wednesday our doctor on-call, Dr Tim Tsui, stopped in to see how we were doing. He told us he didn't expect to see us again that night or even in the morning. He seemed to think it was going to be a long day or so.

By 4Am Thursday (12/9) we were ready to go! Dr Tsui apparently lived close enough to the hospital to go home and catch a few z's. The nurse called him and let him know Eva was on her way into the world. We don't think he realized how ready we were because the nurse had to call him again. This time he was in the car. When he arrived he asked me to do a practice push. When he saw Eva's head I think he finally got it that she was ready to meet us. Alex said he rushed over and put on his hospital garb and hurried back over to us.

At 5:09AM Eva Noelle Van Fleet was born.


The most surreal moment of my life. She was so tiny and amazing.

Her poor squished little face!

Seven pounds, five ounces.

Basking in the warm light!

All cleaned up and ready for a nap.


About an hour after her debut, we were moved into our postpartum room. It was just as tiny as our first room. But very cozy for our new family.

Eva got her first bath later on Thursday.


How cute is that little mad face?!

We were in the hospital until Saturday afternoon when we got to take our girl home for the first time.

Daddy and Eva in her "going home" outfit.

(outfit from Auntie Jessica!)

Ready to go home!!

Google

No comments: