Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Hype about Harry Potter

I recently went on a Harry Potter binge fest. I decided back in September that I wanted to read all seven books straight through. I also got in my head that I needed to read them as quickly as possible. On September 13th my friend Ann dropped off the first three in the series and I started reading that night.

The first three books are fun but they are clearly written for a young audience. There’s a lot more humor then you would expect though, I think. I really enjoyed them but part of me couldn’t wait to get to book six and seven, because I haven’t seen the movies yet. I felt like the books were just refreshers of the movie.

Book four is where they start to get a little darker. You see much more of Voldemort and there’s a death at Hogwarts. You also find out more about some of the smaller plots you're seeing in the movies. In the fifth movie one character is blamed for ratting out everyone else in this secret club, but in the book it's someone completely different. I was actually angry that the movie made such a critical "mistake"!

Books five through seven were the most enjoyable to me. They maintain that “laugh out loud” humor but they are also a lot darker. I happen to love dark and scary books/movies. (*cue creepy music*)

I finished the books in exactly four weeks (to the day), on October 11th. All in all, I really enjoyed them. They were fun to read I finally feel like I know what all the hype was about. Now I’m super excited about movies 6 and 7.

Xo, Mel

No comments: