Monday, February 18, 2008

Big Sur- February 2008

President's Day. Any excuse for a holiday is just fine with us. Since we're not making our annual trip to Big Sur this May (we're heading to Yosemite instead!!), we decided to hit it up in February instead. Our faithful camping buddies, Rhianna and Travis, made the trip down and met us.

We stayed at a different campsite this year, which was a nice change. I think we've decided to try a new campground each trip we make. It's more exciting that way. The last two years we camped at a Ventana campground, this year we camped out at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. It's gorgeous. Amazing trails.

Alex and I arrived Saturday afternoon and set up our tent before heading out to a trail.

Here we are about five minutes after setting out. Turns out, we were already heading the wrong way! Just kidding... we were just headed the long way, we turned around and doubled back for a short cut to the trail. Thanks stranger!

You can't see the river bed below, but it's a lovely peaceful bridge over a river that you encounter many times along a number of different trails.


Same bridge.


I haven't done any hiking at this point, so I'm still really excited about camping.


Lost again? Already? It's a tricky trail.


Rhianna scales a giant dead tree.


Travis, "Seriously guys, it's just a tree..." He didn't say that... but this look kind of says it all.


Alex on the giant dead tree.


We're taking a little break from the trail. It turned out to be four miles straight UP. We needed lots of breaks thanks to my being completely out of shape.


Nice view.


Rhianna and Alex, as usual, way ahead of me. I saw a lot of their backs this weekend. Show offs! ;)


Alex and the yucca that he eventually launches off the side of this mountain we're climbing.


My knock off Gucci sunglasses break again! And I Krazy glued them this last time. Blast you Venice beach and your knock off designer shades!


Fire starter!


The next few photos are from day two. On Sunday the guys decided it would be awesome to hike 10 miles (one way) to these natural hot springs. Then, of course, hike back the 10 miles to our camp. Rhianna and I had our doubts about this but we went along for the ride. About a mile in, I was dying. I literally thought I was going to have a heart attack. It was a steep enough incline that I knew, if I made up, it would only be to come crashing back down. The first two photos are of Rhi and Trav and me and Al about... maybe 2 or 3 miles in. By the way, about a 1/4 of a mile in we had to cross a tiny little stream that was more like a little trickle and I fell off the stepping stone and into the water. 1/4 in to a 20 mile hike and both of my shoes and socks are drenched.

So we get to the hot springs and there are three different "pools". Allegedly the rule is that only 6 at a time can be in the pool. We get there and all three are full. Eventually we take one over and soak for about 15 minutes in water the temperature of bath water. Not hot, not cold, just warm-ish. And there's dirt floating around and you can't help but realize this is the temperature that "things" grow... things you don't want to soak in for more than a minute. Now we have to head back to camp as quickly as possible so we're not hiking in the dark. Hiking in the dark was inevitable though. It took us five hours to hike TO the springs and we didn't head back to camp until 4PM.

I didn't mention that along with that little stream, you also cross the river twice at different points. On the way back, I fell into one with one foot. My shoes were finally dry... but only for minutes it seemed. After my second "fall" I still had 8 miles to hike. Yay!
Here we are on the trail back to camp. Obviously it's pretty dark. If you're wondering what that look on my face is... it's fear masked by a tired smile. I swear we were being stalked by a mountain lion that night. I was so sure we would never make it back to camp. I know I know, over dramatic Mel. I can't help it!!

We did make it back. And it only took 4 hours and 15 minutes to hike back to camp. We would have easily shaved off another 30 minutes on the return had we not had to slow it down due to hiking in the dark and it being a rather treacherous trail.

Monday morning I wake up and can not walk. My legs are still KILLING me. You can't make a girl who hasn't legitimately worked out in like six months do a 20 mile hike. It's just not humane. But I survived. We all survived. And Alex has told me many times how proud of me he is. That, my friends, is all that matters to me.

Monday afternoon we took a tour of Hearst Castle. Amazing.

This is one of three guest houses. The smallest of which contains 10 bedrooms.



Alex took some amazing pictures of the outdoor pool. Our camera died by the time the tour reached the indoor pool. AMAZING!!!



These are two of the ten guest rooms in the smaller guest house. It makes me weak in the knees to know that Rhett Butler may have slept in one of these beds!!

This is Casa Grande, the big house. It contains 46 bedrooms, I think.

It was a beautiful tour and we only saw a portion of the house. There are several other tours that you can see that offer different views!






Google














No comments: